High tide at Richmond lock occurs about 1 hour after high tide at London Bridge but low water occurs between 3 and 3½ hours after low water at London Bridge. This is because the upper reaches 'fill' quicker than they 'empty'.
There is also a difference of approx 6ft in the height of water at high and low tide depending on whether there is a Spring (largest) or Neap (smallest) tide. Spring tides happen about every two weeks just after the Full and New Moon; Neap tides after the Moon is in its first and last quarters.
- Bow Line: 1 x Line = 10mtrs (or if longer than 25ft: 1 x length of your boat + ½ again)
- Stern Line: 2 x Lines = The length of your boat (or if small boat 2 x 7 meters)
Links to others:
- Environment Agency Information incl lock closures click here
- 5 day tide forecast; tide height at Richmond Lock please click here
Special acknowledgement to the Harts and their marvellous site:
- Lock contact numbers
- Moorings(perm & Overnight)
- ATYC – Association of Thames Yacht Clubs
- United Kingdom Hydrographic Office Online tidal predictions